How to deal with swollen gums or gingivitis can be done at home using natural ingredients.
Starting from salt water to aloe vera can be used to reduce swelling and inflammation that occurs in the gum area.
So, how do you make medicine for swollen gums from these natural ingredients?
How to make medicine for swollen gums from natural ingredients
The following natural ingredients for swollen gums are ideally used in emergency or short-term conditions.
But when the gums swell for more than one week, it's better to consult a doctor to get proper medical treatment.
Here's how to make medicine for swollen gums from natural ingredients, as quoted by the Healthline page .
1. Salt water
Salt water can be used as a mouthwash to reduce inflammation of the gums.
This natural remedy can also speed up the healing of inflammation that occurs.
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- One small glass of warm water
How to make
- Mix all ingredients together until well blended.
- Gargle with salt water solution for 30 seconds and spit out the water.
- Do this method two to three times a day so that the swelling goes away quickly.
2. Compress cold water or warm water
Cold or warm water compresses can help relieve pain and swelling of the gums. Here's how to make it.
- Warm water to taste
- Ice cubes as needed
- 2 small towels
How to make
- Soak a small towel in warm water, then wring out the water
- Hold the damp cloth and hold it to the face or cheek where the gum hurts for five minutes.
- After that switch to a cold water compress, prepare a small towel and wrap ice cubes in it
- Do things like compresses with warm water.
- Apply this method 2-3 times a day for the first two days when the gums are swollen.
3. Medicine from turmeric
Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin which is antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
According to a 2015 study, this medicine from turmeric can prevent plaque and gingivitis .
You can buy this medicine from turmeric gel at an online shop or you can make it yourself by mixing turmeric powder with a small amount of water to make a paste.
The way to use it is to apply this gel to the sore gums for 10 minutes after brushing your teeth.
Gargle afterwards and do it for two days until the swelling subsides.
4. Essential oils
According to a study report published in the European Journal of Dentistry, a number of essential oils can help reduce inflammation levels in swollen gums.
Among them are peppermint oil, tea tree oil and thyme oil. Here's how to make the medicine;
Peppermint, thyme or tea tree essential oil that we have at home
How to make
- Mix three drops of peppermint, thyme or tea tree essential oil in a glass of water.
- Use this liquid as a mouthwash and do it up to 2 times a day.
5. Aloe vera
According to a review in the Journal of Clinical and Experimental Dentistry , aloe vera can also be a remedy for swollen gums , accelerating the healing process and preventing gingivitis.
However, because fresh aloe vera has an aroma that sometimes makes you nauseous, it would be simpler if we used mouthwashes that are widely available in the market that contain aloe vera.
The way to use it is to use this mouthwash regularly twice a day until the swelling subsides.